Saturday, August 21, 2010

Just the beginning...?

There have been so many steps that have brought us to this point. First step, was obviously applying and that wasn't even one step it was like a 5 step process which included 2 types of applications and 2 types of interviews. So I took each part of this process, one step at a time. Colleen and I went to New York the second weekend in March for our interviews. We were able to schedule them on Saturday, the 13th one right after the other. Colleen got lucky and interviewed with the "big" guys and she got offered a position ON THE SPOT! I on the other hand interview with some really nice ladies but didn't get the same perks. So we went on our way, her smiling and me - not so much :( Once we arrived back at the hotel I left my cell phone at the hotel lobby to get it charged. We went upstairs to rest, shower and change and go out for a little bit that night. As we were leaving I went back to pick up my phone, I had a voicemail from Dave (the Teach Away rep.) I was trying to listen to the message as I walked down the street and I think he said that the ADEC interviewers requested for me to return tomorrow (Sunday) for a second interview. I was in complete SHOCK! The weather in New York was horrendous and I had to go into a random hotel lobby in order to hear the message again. Then hand my phone to Colleen so she could hear the message. It was confirmed, I had a SECOND in person interview!!! I couldn't understand why. I called Dave back and he confirmed the request for the second interview but he wouldn't give me any clues as to why I had to go back. He said it was normal and it happened regularly. His words did not calm my nerves! So we went out for a little bit and then back to the hotel. Up early the next morning and back to the interview hotel. I went in for my second interview with the same "big" guys Colleen has interviewed with. They asked similar interview type questions, the only thing out of the ordinary was that they asked the history of my last name. I have been asked that a lot lately, many people think I should change it since it's Jewish last name.  I'm not Jewish, my father was raised Jewish and he doesn't practice anymore. His parents were from Yugoslavia (Romania - today) and Russia (Ukraine - today). I was raised Catholic. After a little family history they didn't seem to think I would have any issues in the middles east. So after our interview they offered me a contract ON THE SPOT!!! Just like Colleen!! and they even wrote up our contracts and gave them to us right then and there! I didn't like having to go to the second interview but it all worked out in the end!! We flew back to Miami that night (on a delayed flight) and began the paperwork part of process.

I started my paperwork process after April 2, which was the day we got married :)

I carefully got all of my paperwork together, applied for a new passport (it was expiring) and began authenticating documents. I needed to get my diploma, my teaching certificate and my marriage license notarized, authenticated by Tallahassee, then by Washington DC and then it had to be sent to the Embassy of the UAE. I'm pretty good with paperwork but this stuff was a pain, especially cause I took the cheaper route and did each step on my own. (Others paid companies such as ProEx to do all the legwork for them). It took my paperwork through July to actually be complete. Notarizing and Tallahassee took about a week, but the longest step was DC, I think they had my papers for 45 business days. Then I had to send them back to DC to the embassy for the final step. Thankfully I interviewed early enough to do all of these steps with plenty of time.

Saul and his Abuela
My Abuelita and I


We spent a lot of time traveling to visit family. In May we went to Puerto Rico to see Saul's family and for me to meet a lot of extended family I had not met yet. And then in June we went to Colombia to visit my family and for Saul to meet my extended family. The trips were amazing and I want to go back to PR next year. And Saul wants to go back to Colombia next year. LOL We have so many trips that we want to take :)


Then in July I spent 2 weeks working with my mom and stepfather's teenage tour group "Turismo De Castro" Aventura Magica. This is an excruciating trip, with LONG 14 hour days of heat visiting all the theme parks in Orlando. Saul was back home selling and selling cars. We sold his car, my car, Colleen's car and all the other cars his father and him had for sale. I think he's sold like 10 cars this summer alone.

Beautiful bins in the container
Now it is August 21, 2010! We loaded the container yesterday and are going shopping for some final things to load up today. They take the container on Monday. Our suitcases are PACKED! The only thing we are waiting for is our e-tickets! There is a small rumor going around that we should know by tomorrow, Sunday. (the beginning of the Arabic work week). So please keep your fingers crossed for us :)

No comments:

Post a Comment